Tuesday, October 27, 2009

POA- Medical Decisions

Many older adults like to keep their important papers private. Including POA- or Power of Attorney. My own grandfather has done this. Now he and I have discussed it- and he shares information with me. The person who is POA- did not even know it though. He never knew he was power of attorney. He is grateful that he now knows this tid bit- but why couldn't grandpa tell his own son?

My grandad has said- they don't need to know until it is time- So I have talked with him- and so have other family members. Often the older adults- do not want to dwell on death, or issues relating to the idea of losing control. They also confuse money and medical issues. These elders- may be willing to address their POA- with professionals- but fear the family will attempt to take over all decisions. In my case- my grandad knows I work with geriatric patients- while he is 88- he does not see himself as one of those. He does trust me in taking care of his medical issues though. Fearing that my grandfather had left his step children in charge- the biological family did not want to address it unless we were in crisis. I boldly address this topic of medical care with him. He was not aware of the different options- but he did knowthat he wanted to have "everything done" to stay alive.

Do not be afraid to ask the needed questions and clarify the various kinds of POA and explain a living will. Get the paperwork in place while your loved one is able to make wishes clear to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment